Ramadan is a time of very generous charitable giving. People have a right to feel confident that their generosity is not abused and that their donations are being used for legitimate charitable purposes.
Top ten tips from the Commission to make sure you give safely this Ramadan
- Before giving, check the charity’s name and registration number. You can verify this on our website:
Find a charity – register of charities
- Fundraisers require a licence from the local authority (or the Police in London) to collect in a public place. Check that they have this. If the collection is in a privately owned place, check that they have the owner’s permission.
- When approached by collectors, check whether they are wearing a proper ID badge and that any collection tin is sealed.
- If in doubt, ask the collector for more information - a genuine fundraiser should be happy to answer questions and explain more about the work of the charity.
- Genuine fundraising materials should feature the charity’s name, registered name and a landline contact number. Be wary of those that list only a mobile number.
- Make sure when you give to radio and television appeals that the process is secure. Ofcom lists the rules for radio and television charity appeals on its website:
Licensing – Ofcom website
- Take care when responding to emails or clicking links to a charity’s website to ensure that they are genuine. Instead, search online for your chosen charity to check you have the right web address. For further information see:
Guidance for donors – Get Safe Online
- Carefully review collection bags for clothing and household goods to ascertain whether they are from a genuine charity.
- After making these checks, if you think that a collection or appeal is not legitimate, report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 and inform the Charity Commission:
Action Fraud – Police
- Don’t be pressurised to give to a collection immediately. If in any doubt, donate directly to charity.
Guidance for charities running charitable collections during Ramadan
The same advice applies all year for charities running charitable collections. This can be found on our main safer giving page:
Safer giving - advice for charities and the public
Leaflets and posters for printing and/or download
The Commission, in partnership with Mosques and Imams National Advisory Board, has produced leaflets and posters on safer giving during Ramadan in five different languages: English, Arabic, Turkish, Somali and Urdu. You can download copies of these for printing using these links:
this page has been extracted from the Charity Commission website at 10:00am - 24/06/2013: